Sunday, May 08, 2005

Tourists

My post of May 3rd got me thinking about tourists in Venice. Here's my favorite tourist story:

One morning, about two years ago, I was in Venice and got up very early to wander around the city. It was about 8 AM when I got to Piazza San Marco and the square was deserted--except for one tourist (not American). She asked me to take her photo in front of the basilica. I did and as I passed her camera back to her, she gestured at the church and said, "What is that?" Dumfounded, I tried to explain San Marco. After about ninety seconds, she thanked me and held out her map. "What else should I see?" she asked. I pointed out the Rialto Bridge, Accademia, and a few other places. She thanked me again and left. Wonder if she even knew she was in Venice?

Got any tourist stories?

No comments: